CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Burdens

At church on Sunday, the lesson was about forgiving ourselves when we have sinned and repented. One of the questions that was asked was about why the burden of sin feels so heavy.

I had an insight that I really liked.

I think that the reason we feel so weighed down by sin is that God cannot help us to carry those burdens. He can and will help us carry any other kind of burden, but we need to feel the burden of sin so that we will realize the need and want to repent. Once we repent of the sin, He is more than willing to take away the burden we have been carrying. That is what the Atonement is all about.

If only forgiving ourselves were that easy!

2 comments:

wynne said...

I always have thought of repentance as a diet for your soul. Sin is like extra pounds you have put on. And the temple is like the gym!

(Okay. Maybe I never thought of that before. Why is sin heavy? No idea. Has anyone ever tried to weigh it to see just how heavy it is?)

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Great insight!