CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

My Mom Toolbox/Bookshelf

Now that I am on my (most likely) last child, I have found all of the books that help me be a better parent. You know how they say that kids don't come with an instruction manual? Well, I think this list of books is really close to being the perfect pregnancy and parenting instruction manual for me!

Planning Your Pregnancy and Birth

This is the best pregnancy book I have ever read. It was produced by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. I love to have books written by people who have researched and know the most about a topic. I wish I had had this book when I was pregnant with all of my children, instead of just Doodle. It is a really informative and helpful guide to know what is normal, and what is not. I also have the "What to Expect..." books, and I don't like them. They always gave me things to be paranoid about. This book is very straightforward and organized well.

Nursing Mother's Companion

Breastfeeding is difficult at first and remains that way for many people. I'd recommend this book and you should start reading it before you have your baby and keep it close by for the first couple of months. It is amazing! I think I would have been able to nurse my first baby for a lot longer if I'd had this book!

Babywearing

Okay, so this isn't so much a book as a way to help take care of kids. I found this when Princess was about 18 months old, so I got to carry her around a bit. She is actually still small enough, so this summer, we may still use them for her. I don't carry Doodle around in a carrier all the time, but when I know we're going to be walking around a lot, I do. I love my Mei Tai ("May Tie")! It is so nice to have her so close. Shopping is wonderful and I don't have to carry a heavy car seat everywhere we go!

Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child

No matter how old your kids are, go read this book! It is the best book I have read about sleep. The author teaches why sleep is so important and tells you what to do to make sure your child gets enough quality sleep. I read a little of this book when I was pregnant with Princess and she was a lot better sleeper than Indy, still is! Now, Doodle is a great sleeper. We are still working on night time, but she puts herself to sleep so well! It makes life so much better!

From Baby to Toddler

Again, I like this one better than the "What to expect..." books that I also got. It goes through each month and helps you to know what your child may be doing and how to play with him or her to get them to their full potential.

Diaper Free Before 3

This book is what gave me the confidence to get Princess out of diapers. It is written by a pediatrician and mother of three. She talks a lot about why we potty train the way we do and how it is completely wrong. She says that waiting until the child is "ready" is a bad idea. Instead, she says to start putting your child on a potty when they are six months old. You don't expect them to do anything at that age but get used to it as a normal part of life. Then, at one year old, you get them out of disposable diapers and into cotton underwear. It may sound crazy, but I am going to try it with Doodle. With Princess, it is a little different, but I just get her to "go" every couple of hours. After three weeks, she sometimes tells me when she needs to go. There are still accidents, but it is working! Go read this book!

Supernanny: How to get the Best from your Children

So, this one isn't written by a doctor or anything, but I really like the way that Jo does things. She has a no-nonsense attitude about child rearing. She goes through several "issues" and teaches you how to have control of yourself and teach your children.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone out there. I just wish I could have had these tools all along. I have learned so much and I'm always learning new things. If you have any questions about them, just ask!

What are your favorite parenting "manuals"?

7 comments:

Moghimi Family said...

A.M.E.N. on Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. Actually, I just recommended the same book to Carol-Ann.

I am glad to have the recommendations on the other things too. Thanks bunches!

Mrs. O said...

That last one sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out

Kiley said...

I think I'll have to look at 'Diaper Free Before 3' - I'm going to need it!

To be honest, I really felt like I needed 'manuals' when Jake was little, and then I just kind of . . . grew out of them. I go on mother's instinct, with a little help from my Mom, Mother-in-law, and the internet. Not very professional, I know.

Amber said...

I agree with you on the Planning your Pregnancy and Birth book. I loved it. The book that I refer to most for all various things is the American Academy of Pediatrics Caring for your Baby and Young Child book. It goes from birth to age 5. It is great to give you instruction, but allows room for adapting to your own child.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I have the Planning your Pregnancy and Birth book, the others I have not read.

My favorite book on this topic is Mother Daughter Wisdom by Christiane Northrup MD.

tearese said...

We've been letting Josh sit on the potty for the last three weeks or so, and he goes everytime! He'll probably be all trained right before the baby comes! I like the What to Expect books, and read them cover to cover with Elora, but there are a lot of other good ones too. I like the Sears books on breastfeeding; the only thing I don't agree with is their view on how long you should do it...my kids nursed till about 14 months, which worked for us.

tearese said...

(I meant to say, and when the baby comes all that training will go out the window!)